Daniel M. Rathbun has over 25 years of experience representing clients in real estate and title related litigation, business disputes and estate challenges. Dan began his career representing owners and lenders in land use and condemnation cases. Subsequently, he expanded his practice to include construction disputes, mechanic’s lien litigation, and representing insureds on behalf of title insurance underwriters. More recently, Dan also has represented lenders, servicing entities and trustees, in both state and federal courts, in litigation involving foreclosure challenges, and claims related to loan modification and forbearance agreements.
Over the course of his career, Dan has litigated hundreds of cases involving contract claims, lease disputes, mechanic’s lien claims, fraud and forged document claims, easements and adverse possession claims, real estate title claims, mortgages and trusts, will and estate contests and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Real Estate Litigation
- Title Litigation
- Easement and Boundary Disputes
- Construction Litigation
- Mechanic’s Liens
- Landlord and Tenant
- Business Disputes
- Probate and Fiduciary Litigation
- J.D., Columbus School of Law of The Catholic University of America, 1988
- Christendom College, A.B., cum laude, 1983
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Member of the Fifth District Disciplinary Committee, 1999- 2005
- Member of Virginia State Bar Real Property Section
SELECTED RECENTLY REPORTED CASES
- Wolf v. Federal National Mortgage Association, 830 F. Supp.2d 153, 162 (W.D.Va. 2011),affirmed in 2013 U.S. App. LEXIS 4300 (4th Cir. 2013).
- Holland v. Chase Home Fin., LLC, 3:11-cv-0223, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Norfolk Division, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 102197 (September 9, 2011).
- Caballero v. Am. Mortg. Network, 1:11-cv-0622, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria Division, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 87210 (August 8, 2011)